Professional Qualification Check

Professional Qualification Check

Where a qualification is a requirement for the role, you must check and confirm evidence of such professional qualifications as part of your record.


This includes QTS, QTLS, NPQH and registration as a teacher with the DfE. In order to carry out this check, use the free Employer Secure Access sign-in portal to access the Teaching Regulation Agency’s (TRA) Teacher Services’ web page (see TRA FAQs below).


If you know the teacher’s reference number (TRN), and date of birth, you can use the teacher search facility in Teacher Services to view the record for any individual you are considering, including any trainee, newly qualified, or fully qualified teacher.


Amongst other details, you’ll be able to:

  • view a teacher’s initial teacher training qualifications

  • confirm if they have been awarded QTS

  • check whether they have successfully completed their teacher induction period

  • view any additional qualifications, including relevant mandatory qualifications and national professional qualifications

If you do not know the individual’s TRN, you will still have access to alphabetical lists of teachers and others with current prohibitions, restrictions, sanctions, or who have failed induction/probation.


If you want to confirm if an individual is eligible for employment in a role that requires QTS as a result of receiving Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status, you will need to contact the Society for Education and Training.



What is QTS?


QTS, or qualified teacher status, must be attained in order to take up a teaching post in England in a:

  • maintained primary school

  • maintained secondary school

  • maintained special school

  • non-maintained special school


New to using the TRA?


The Secure Access / DfE Sign-in portal via the Teaching Regulation Agency’s (TRA) Teacher Services is a free service available to all schools and colleges. Registration is required for first-time users and can be requested from Teacher Services.



How do I use the TRA?


Please consult A guide for using the TRA and proceed to this link to sign into the TRA. The school should complete the TRA checks (as appropriate to the role), print the teacher's record to retain in the personnel file and 'claim' the teacher on the TRA website. Alternatively, schools can save the teacher's record on Sign In Central Record.


For more information, see the full GOV.UK guidance here.